Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Connecticut Apartment

     I am completely new to the world of blogging. Sometimes I even think it strange, who really wants to read about other peoples lives? But really isn't that exactly what the internet has become these days? My Space, Facebook, Blog spot, its all about putting your mark out there in a way. Although I am quite astounded by what some people do put out there. So that being said I will only be letting family and friends see this blog.
      First I want to say that i love my husband, in 8 days we will have been married two months. Not a huge amount of time really, but enough to start to really get to know each other, the subtle ins and outs that you don't quite see when your just dating or engaged. And we have found out one simple fact.... marriage takes work and communication.
      So as I was saying we've been married almost two months, we were married May 28th and really we are loving every minute of being married. After our honeymoon we moved to Terryville CT, about 10 minutes from his parents if that far. And as much as I feared being that close to the 'In-Laws' it really hasn't been bad. We enjoy getting to spend time with the extended family and the real thrill...... doing laundry at their house :) we are indeed grateful for that.
      For me I think the hardest part about getting married was moving to another state, to a apartment i had never seen before, and not being close to my sister and her kids in Utah anymore, and having so much time to myself while Matt is at work. For Matt its probably that he doesn't get much alone time anymore, I get too much and he gets too little. It can be a complicated balance.
     My first full day in Ct consisted of moving beds and furniture into our apartment, cleaning everything, and finally unpacking. That was not a fun day. I remember sweating away, cleaning floors that hadn't been touched in years according to our new neighbors, bearing the stench or smoke coming from their apartment, and thinking, "I could really use a shower." Now Matt had gone to work after we had moved all the heavy things in so for most of it i was alone, except for the gracious help of my new brother in law Ben and his wife Mary, who had come out for the wedding. So after cleaning the bathroom I was ready to relax..... unfortunately that isn't what happened.
      I think most people assume they have running water and a working bathroom when they move into a new place.... well i quickly found out my place was sorely lacking. When i tried the faucets, they wouldn't turn on at first, they just kept spinning, so putting a little more force into it I was able to get the cold water to come on, only to quickly realize it wouldn't turn off... thankfully Matt had his toolbox accessible and I was able to take off the handles and man handle the rest with pliers to turn off. The real kicker after that was that the water wouldn't come back on. So i did what any new bride would do in a new place with her husband gone... I cried. and to top it off our fridge wasn't working either.
     So for the week it took our landlord to come fix things we were spending all our time at Matt's parents for showers and all the other basic necessities. Thankfully we have moved past that and can actually enjoy our apartment.







No comments:

Post a Comment